published article link
Title Insurance and Settlement Best Practices






Fairhope Municipal Pier from the Bluff. Before the Causeway and Bayway were constructed, ferry boats transported people and automobiles from the Eastern Shore to Mobile.

Fairhope was settled in 1894 and the City of Fairhope was founded in 1908 along the shores of Mobile Bay and has grown from its 500 founding residents to more than 12,000 residents. According to local history, Fairhope's name was chosen because one of the original colonists believed that the settlement had a "fair hope" of success. Rich in history and culture, the City of Fairhope is a popular tourist attraction and is a thriving community in Baldwin County. The area in Baldwin County from Spanish Fort to Point Clear is commonly referred to as the "Eastern Shore". You may learn more about the City of Fairhope by clicking here.

Baldwin County was created by the Mississippi Territorial Legislature on December 21, 1809. The land which comprises Baldwin County was originally taken from Washington County. The boundary lines of Baldwin County had been changed several times before 1868 when it received its current dimensions. Baldwin County is one of the fastest growing counties in the State of Alabama. You may learn more about Baldwin County by clicking here. Baldwin County was named for Abraham Baldwin who participated in the Constitutional Convention and founded the University of Georgia. You may learn more about Abraham Baldwin by clicking here.

Historical photos courtesy of Fairhope Single Tax Corporation



The "Bay Queen" was one of three ferrys (Bay Queen, Pleasure Bay and Fairhope) which provided ferry service from Fairhope to Mobile.



The Colonial Inn which overlooked Mobile Bay by the bluff. Circa 1909.



Downtown Fairhope Circa 1915.



Mershon Bros. Circa 1899. This was the main
business house in Fairhope and also housed the
Post Office.



Fairhope Avenue. Circa 1930's.



Fairhope Avenue Circa 1926. Just West of Section Street and looking West towards the bay.



Bank of Fairhope on Section Street. Circa 1930's.



Fairhope Christian Church. Undated photo.



Fairhope Electric Light and Water Plant. Circa 1911.



The "Fairhope". One of the ferrys which serviced the Eastern Shore and Mobile before the Bayway and Causeway were constructed. The Fairhope was built in 1900 in Fairhope.



Fairhope House 1899-1910.



Fairhope Public School Circa 1910. This building was located on Church Street across the street from the present K-1 Center. Sam Irby attended sixth grade in this building.



Greer's Grocery Store on Section Street. Circa 1928.



Undated photo shows view near bluff on Mobile Bay. Ferry can be seen arriving at pier.



Section Street in 1897. The street in the background is Fairhope Avenue.





The Pleasure Bay arriving at Fairhope Pier. Undated photo.


Copyright © 2017 Irby & Heard, P. C. All rights reserved. • Web Services: Dogwood Productions, Inc.

The following language is required pursuant to Rule 7.2, Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services by other lawyers. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice concerning their individual legal issues.